Markets and strategy
DB Schenker holds a leading market position in all market segments – land transport, global air and ocean freight, as well as contract logistics. Our vision is to be the leading integrated transport and logistics services provider with a global reach. In order to achieve this objective, DB Schenker intends to further strengthen and expand its leading market position.
With PRIMUS DB Schenker intends to increase its profitability and focus its portfolio more on international growth markets. A comprehensive transformation program is in place to drive change in the six dimensions (global market leader, customers’ first choice, employer of choice, sustainability leader, digital value generator and relentless productivity driver). The individual business areas devise the measures and implement them. In addition, overarching issues are managed centrally. Examples include comprehensive programs to increase efficiency, which include implementing new management practices.
Digitalization is increasingly gaining in importance as a driver of disruption in the logistics industry. DB Schenker therefore has a dedicated digitalization unit. Initiatives such as data-driven business models, online platforms and technical innovations are promoted on a global scale.
Progress in implementation of PRIMUS
Numerous initiatives were implemented in 2020:
- Global market leader: During the Covid-19 pandemic, DB Schenker offered daily connections from China to Europe and the USA. Passenger aircraft were repurposed and used to transport medical equipment and supplies.
- Customers’ first choice: DB Schenker’s short-term storage solution uses a digital platform that enables access to available storage space worldwide. During the Covid-19 pandemic, spaces were converted into temporary storage solutions to offer customers additional capacity.
- Employer of choice: The new Avature recruitment system improves recruitment efficiency and experience, simplifies the management process, and reduces administrative costs.
- Sustainability leader: DB Schenker opened the Oslo City Hub.
- Digital value generator: DB Schenker’s visibility platform offers cost-effective and scalable solutions for shipment transparency. We fit assets (trucks, trailers, ships, aircraft) with sensors and link them with shipment data.
- Relentless productivity driver: DB Schenker aims to achieve sustainable financial performance by constantly identifying opportunities for added value. These include a competitive cost structure based on a common cost culture and optimized cash flow management. This enables us to improve our financial competitiveness and be more successful than other logistics companies.
Development of the network
- One of the world’s leading integrated sites for air freight and contract logistics was opened: Red Lion, a regional warehouse specializing in high-speed logistics, was built in the Airport Logistics Park Singapore (ALPS). Costing € 101 million, it is DB Schenker’s largest single investment.
- A new sustainable regional distribution center was opened in Dubai and is now home to the regional headquarters. It is strategically located next to the Dubai South airport and can therefore offer solutions for the free trade zones.