Markets and strategy
DB Schenker holds a leading market position in all market segments – European land transport, global air and ocean freight, as well as contract logistics. Our vision is to be the leading integrated transport and logistics services provider with a global reach. In order to achieve this objective, DB Schenker intends to further strengthen and expand its leading market position.
With its PRIMUS strategy, DB Schenker intends to significantly increase profitability and focus its portfolio even more on international growth markets. A comprehensive transformation program was introduced to drive change in the three core areas of growth, efficiency and culture.
The individual business lines of land transport, air and ocean freight and contract logistics are developing measures and putting them in practice. In addition, overarching issues are being managed centrally. Examples include comprehensive programs to increase efficiency, which involve implementing new management practices among other plans.
Digitalization is increasingly gaining in importance as a driver of disruption in the logistics industry. DB Schenker therefore has a dedicated digitalization unit. Initiatives such as data-driven business models, online platforms and technical innovations are being promoted on a global scale.
Development of the network
- DB Schenker is operating a new spare parts center for an automobile manufacturer in Canada. It is about 16,000 m² in size and is located in Mississauga, Ontario. The premises also include a training center and a test vehicle warehouse.
- At the Augsburg freight traffic center, DB Schenker opened a new, state-of-the-art logistics hall with a total storage space of 38,000 m².
- DB Schenker is represented in Bangladesh through its own subsidiary company. As a local unit, Schenker Logistics (Bangladesh) Limited offers the entire range of services of DB Schenker under the Indian cluster organization.
- DB Schenker is expanding its global network into eight Caucasian and Central Asian countries. As the first step, a branch office was established in Kazakhstan. This was followed by DB Schenker’s own national organizations in Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan.
Progress in implementation of PRIMUS
A large number of initiatives were implemented in the year under review that move DB Schenker forward on the way to becoming the sector’s leader, its PRIMUS.
- Growth: Among other things, the business development programs in all products contributed to stable revenue development in the year under review – despite the slowdown in the global economy and growing geopolitical tensions with their significantly negative influences on the logistics business – including, for example, targeted regional specializations to key customers in the software industry.
- Efficiency: Due to the new organizational structure in the Global Finance Department and the structuring of the Global Business Service Center in Bucharest and Manila, DB Schenker is continuing to develop more efficiently. One focus, for example, is on the financial end-to-end processes that are being consistently standardized and optimized in various projects.
- Culture: Following the start of the program in 2017, all executives have completed “The Future is Here” program. In order to further promote cultural change in the company, all new executives will also be involved as catalysts during their onboarding.