The procurement volume corresponds to the projections and forecasts of requirements of the business units and the contractual obligations to suppliers that DB Group has entered into. On subsequent realization these become capital expenditures or expenses (mainly cost of materials and other operating expenses). The total procurement volume in 2021 was € 38.0 billion (previous year: € 36.3 billion).
- Freight and freight forwarding services remained constant at € 10.9 billion.
- Industrial products fell sharply to € 7.8 billion (previous year: € 9.6 billion). This decline is due in particular to the fact that no large vehicle purchases were commissioned in 2021.
- The procurement volume for construction and engineering services, at € 7.8 billion, remained similar to the previous year’s level (previous year: € 7.7 billion).
- Third-party services rose sharply to € 8.4 billion (previous year: € 5.9 billion), which was attributable to DB Schenker in particular.
- Cable- and pipe-bound power and fuel rose to € 3.0 billion (previous year: € 2.2 billion), which was attributable to trends in energy prices in particular.
|PROCUREMENT VOLUME / € million|
Procurement volume in Germany 1), 2)
Share of local procurement volume (%) 2)
The procurement volume is the total of all the net order values – from individual orders and from framework contracts – that have been completed.
1) Excluding DB Schenker.
2) Figure for 2020 adjusted
The share of local procurement volume in Germany was € 18.3 billion in 2021 (previous year: € 19.4 billion).
Previous year’s figures adjusted.
Procurement in DB Group
The material topics in 2021 were:
- Securing supply to DB Group: Despite the sharp increases and volatility of the market prices of raw materials and goods, supply chain disruptions and production bottlenecks, our focused supplier and risk management has enabled us to secure the supply of products and services to DB Group. The MyProFit Recovery program softened the financial impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic. To address the damage caused by floods, we organized replacement assignments and maintained close contact with our suppliers to prevent supply bottlenecks.
- Development of the procurement strategy: With our new strategic procurement target vision 2025, we aim to be the partner of choice of our business units. We are therefore working to intensify our alignment with DB business partners in future and to sharpen our focus on the various ecosystems (DB Group, business unit, supplier and procurement). The target vision for 2025 is based on our position as a comprehensive value driver, our intuitive procurement with harmonized systems and our focus on sustainability. In 2022, we are initiating a focused and agile approach to implementing our target vision for 2025.