DB E.C.O. Group
The DB E.C.O. Group acts as a single-source partner, offering DB Group’s engineering, consulting and operations expertise to its customers.
With 50 employees, inno2grid GmbH (i2g) supports the activities of the DB E.C.O. Group. i2g’s areas of activity include urban electric mobility, energy management and the digital networking of mobility and energy provision.
DB Engineering & Consulting
DB Engineering & Consulting (DB E&C) was awarded planning services for a section of the Ruhr-Sieg line in Hesse that stretches about 75 km. In order to meet increasing freight transport demand, this line is being expanded. The special feature of the line is its numerous tunnels. The expansion will enable freight trains, especially from combined transport, to run through the tunnels. In addition, passing loops for freight trains and increases to signal block density are planned.
- Since January 2021, DBE&C has been responsible for a section of the second S-Bahn (metro) main line in Munich. The first major project milestone – inserting the tied-arch bridge into the project location – was completed in July 2021.
- The Wallauer Spange new construction line will create a 4-km-long connection line between the Breckenheim — Wiesbaden rail lines and the Cologne — Rhine/Main high-speed line. DBE&C has been commissioned to provide geotechnical advice and groundwater monitoring, and to prepare a specialist model of the building site for use in building information modeling (BIM) throughout the entire project area.
- In April 2021, DB E&C was commissioned, with partners from Spain and Italy, to act as the electrification engineer (ENE engineer) for Rail Baltica. The Rail Baltica Global Project is a major project to connect the Baltic states to the European rail network.
- DBE&C and JSC Ukrzaliznytsia (Ukrainian Railway) have signed a consultancy agreement relating to passenger transport. Its objective is to improve the planning and development of rail passenger transport, to optimize purchasing and to modernize the vehicle fleet.
- At DBE&C, the main objectives that BIM was used for in 2021 were increasing efficiency and partially automating further production steps. To this end, a great deal of work went into standardizing BIM throughout the entire production chain. The project portfolio has grown by 173 new BIM projects. About 240 BIM projects are currently being processed.
DB International Operations
- Following the completion of a 273-km-long freight transport line in Uruguay, which is scheduled to happen in 2023, DB International Operations (DB IO), together with two partners, will take over the operation and maintenance of the line for 22 years. The formation and mobilization of the operating company began in October 2020 and will run for three years.
- Etihad Rail DB is bringing its experience and expertise gained from the first phase to the preparation of operations for the phase 2 line in the United Arab Emirates, which covers about 600 km and is currently under construction.
- The DB E.C.O. Group North America, together with DB IO, is advising the California High-Speed Rail Authority in the US on preparing for operations.